A Little Bit of History of Pulaski Township
Pulaski Township was formed out of part of New Sewickley on September 14, 1854. Its dimensions were very much reduced by the erection of Daugherty Township in January of 1894. It lies a little northeast of the center of the County and is enclosed by Daugherty Township on the north and east, with New Brighton Borough on the west and Rochester Township on the south. Blockhouse Run, which rises in Daugherty Township, flows through Pulaski Township and empties into the Beaver River at the lower end of New Brighton.
The township was named for Casimir Pulaski, a Polish General who commanded American troops during the Revolutionary War. He met General Washington, Commander-in-Chief of the Continental Army in 1777. He was known as the “Father of the American Cavalry”. He defended Little Egg Harbor in New Jersey and Minisink on the Delaware, and proceeded south to Charleston, South Carolina. He road horseback into battle. He was mortally wounded by a blast of a cannon and he died at the age of 34 on October 15, 1779. A monument, erected in his honor, is located in Monterey Square, Savannah, Georgia.
The township population in 1860 was six hundred twenty eight. The area was predominately an agricultural one with the majority of taxables listed in 1876 as farmers. The surface of the township is very irregular and is occupied by the Lower Coal Series. The abundance of good coal and of clay specially adapted to the manufacture of various products, such as terra-cotta ware, sewer pipe, fire bricks and grate backs.
The Christian and Missionary Alliance Church located on Rochester Road had its beginning in 1870 in a small chapel located between 41st and 43rd Street near the old Marion Hill School Building. It was built by Mr. & Mrs. Gregg McKee. In 1922 the Rev. Charles VanArsdale became its first pastor. In 1927, the new church was dedicated. The church continued to grow under the leadership of Rev. VanArsdale, Rev. M.J. Body, Rev. Paul Freliegh, Rev. Milton Scripture, Rev. J. Kimber Bellig and Rev. Clyde Davis and Rev. T. Wayne Young. The Fellowship Center was built and dedicated in 1962. Rev. Paul Cochran ministered as Youth Director until 1970. Another addition was built in 1972 to give more room in the sanctuary and additional Sunday School Rooms. Presently the Pastor is Rev. James Krouse. The Youth Minister is Greg Flanders. Sunday School is held at 9:45 A.M. Church Services are at 10:45 A.M. and Sunday Evening Services are held at 6:00 P.M.